Window Cling Installation
These are instructions intended for the application of both 1-sided and 2-sided window graphics, decals, and clings that are 18″ x 24″ in size or smaller. For larger window clings, Smartpress.com recommends that you consider hiring a professional to install it. If you have any additional questions, please contact Smartpress.com customer service at 888.934.6909 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What you will need:
1. Windex or Isopropyl Alcohol
2. Squeegee or credit card (If using a credit card, wrap one long end in cloth so it does not scratch your decal when you are applying)
3. Spray bottle full of water with 1-2 drops of liquid dish soap (this item not needed for removable 2-sided window clings)
4. Masking tape
Instructions for wet application:
1. Read all the way through these instructions before beginning. Instructions may be slightly different depending on what type of cling you have.
2. Clean the surface that you want to apply your decal to with Windex or alcohol. Make sure that the surface is clean and free of residue before you apply your graphic.
3. Find the center of your decal and the center of the surface on which you want to apply it. Hold your decal in place and mark the two top corner placements on the surface with a piece of masking tape.
4. Lay your decal down and pull the backer off, being careful that the adhesive doesn’t touch any dirty surface.
5. If you have a removable 2-sided window cling, skip to step 8. For permanent 2-sided window clings or any 1-sided cling, proceed to step 6.
6. Use your spray bottle full of soapy water to spray down ONLY the adhesive side of the decal. The surface should be dripping wet.
7. Spray down the surface you want to apply the decal to with soapy water. The surface should be dripping wet.
8. Take your decal and align with the marks that you made in step 3. Don’t overlap the tape with your decal– just their edges should meet.
9. Starting from the center and working your way to the edges, slowly smooth the cling onto the window with the squeegee or credit card. Overlap your strokes by 50% to make sure that all the water or air is squeegeed out.
10. If your cling isn’t quite laying as you’d like it, it’s best to pull the bottom portion away from the window, reset the top portion as you like it, and squeegee again with a downward motion.
11. Be sure that the outer edges of the decal are rubbed down smoothly and all liquid or air is forced out. This is essential for proper adhesion.
12. Prick any air/water bubbles that you can’t squeegee out with a pin and push them down. For 2-sided window clings, this step is unnecessary.
13. Decal must dry out for 24 hours before adhesion is complete.