How to save your PDF
There are many ways to create a PDF file, but not all of them work well for professional printing. The way in which you create a PDF can dramatically alter the quality of your printing. For that reason, please refer to the following guidelines to ensure the best possible print quality. Click on the tabs in the left menu for your program of choice.
Save Your File with Exact Smartpress.com PDF Specifications
Smartpress.com has an optional PDF job options file available for download. This .joboptions file is compatible only with Adobe Creative Suite programs and you will need Adobe Distiller to use this. With this job options file, PDFs will be created with exact print specifications for Smartpress.com.
Please note: This .joboptions file will only work if you have Adobe Distiller.
Download the .zip file here:
PDF ‘.joboptions’ File For PC and Mac
Once you download the file, it will most likely need to be unzipped. Saving the unzipped file in the correct location is key, so then it will be available to you when you make your PDF in Adobe Creative Suite programs. Keep in mind that your system may be set up differently, but below are a few examples of where the file should be saved.
Move the “Smartpress-IGEN4.joboptions” to your Applications folder where the Adobe Folder is located. Make sure the file is located in the Adobe folder.
If this does not work, try this:
[username]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings
Not all systems are set up the same, and depending on the software versions, locations can vary slightly.
Move the “Smartpress-IGEN4.joboptions” to Program Files folder where the Adobe Folder is located. Make sure the file is located in the Adobe folder.
If the above does not work, see the path below:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Shared Documents\Adobe PDF\Settings
Keep in mind that your system may be set up differently, you may need to try a few different folders. These are general suggestions.
Advantages to Using Smartpress.com Specific Job Options
What exactly does this new .joboptions file do? This .joboptions file has predetermined presets for your PDF that make printing your file with Smartpress.com easy. The crop marks, bleeds, output options, and compression are all defined for you. You will find this saving option in the PDF Preset dropdown.
Please Note: Keep in mind that this .joboptions file will only work in Adobe Creative Suite programs. Please reference Making a PDF in Word and Making a PDF in Publisher if you are using either of those.
Here are more guidelines for making your PDF:
- If at all possible, create your PDF using Adobe Illustrator or InDesign. If you have Acrobat Standard or Acrobat Professional, you can also create high-quality PDFs using the Adobe PDF printer driver from almost any program.
- You can use the built-in PDF making functionality of Microsoft Office 2007 for Windows or Adobe PDF printer driver.
- On the Macintosh, in any product other than Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or InDesign, use the Adobe PDF printer driver if you have it. Otherwise, your next best option is to go to Print your file, click the PDF button, and choose Save as PDF-X. If you do not have the PDF-X option, please choose the highest printer quality PDF.
- Please refer to “File Preparation” for instructions on how to save PDF’s from specific applications, using the Adobe PDF printer driver.
Other PDF Software
If you wish to attempt to create your PDF in some other product, please follow these guidelines as closely as possible:
- Set your images to 300DPI for anything small like business cards, flyers, brochures, sell sheets, newsletters, or booklets.
- For larger items, such as signs, posters, tradeshow graphics and the like, set your images to 200 DPI.
- Use JPEG compression, high quality, for all images.
- Embed all fonts.
- If you are including RGB images, please embed the RGB profiles you are using. This is sometimes referred to as “tagging.” If your RGB images are not tagged with a specific profile, they will be treated as sRGB.